Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Passing

This post has nothing to do with football or Liverpool.

My father-in-law lost his battle against cancer & passed away on Saturday's afternoon. I was by his side when he breathed his last. His battle with cancer lasted only 8 months. He was a very brave man, he went through a major surgical operation, countless sessions of radiotherapy & chemo; but couldn't fight the cancer cells no more, with his poor/non-existent immune system.

Standing by his hospital bed, seeing him breathing his last was traumatizing. I felt a great sense of loss, but also a sense of relief for him. Maybe this might be the best arrangement for him; he needn't suffer anymore from the painful process of chemo & the needles pricking his flesh. He was reduced to skin & bones for the last 2 weeks of his life, he couldn't eat anything & his eyes were almost bulging from its sockets & his cheeks were so sunken that it was so painful to see. I cried every time when I see him in this condition. There was nothing I could do neither to lessen the pain nor agony of his illness.

But I told myself that I must be strong for the living. My mother-in-law needs to be well taken care of, she lost her husband & the children are the only support she has in her life now. There are still tons of things to be done after the funeral, I must be strong for my husband & my mother-in-law.

Life is so unpredictable, treasure what you have now; don't let them turn into regrets when you lose them.

3 comments:

töes said...

Hey Val, sorry to learn of your loss. Stay strong.

Best regards.

loveuamy said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Take care.

Marcus XA said...

God has called him home. May he rest in God's peace... Stay strong and remember life has to go on. His death will bring out goodness from all who loves him. We will learn how to cherish the many moments we spend with others. You take care... You'll never walk alone...