Sunday, March 27, 2005

Reign in Hell -- William Diehl


Good Read

I've been reading lately, legal thrillers are still my favourite. I guessed i finished Reign in Hell 2 weeks ago, during my week's leave. It's the 3rd instalment of William Diehl's trilogy on Martin Vail & Aaron Stampler. The first being Primal Fear, which was adapted into a motion picture starring Richard Gere as Martin Vail & Edward Norton as Aaron Stampler. Oh, I love that one. The second was Show of Evil, no adaption though.

Reign in Hell wasn't as focused on courtroom action as the first 2, it's more politics & more talk about terroism. Vail was appointed the Assistant AG of the States to help bring a RICO case against a religious cult leader using the churches as a front to plot the downfall of the President of the United States.

Well, I was expecting a lot more action from Vail & maybe the 'fight' between Stampler & himself intensifying. But it turned out that Stampler played only a small part in the story. Though a little disappointing & the finale didn't blow me away, it was a good read. But, certainly not Diehl's best.


Hmm...Impressive

I finished Jury of One last night. I was certainly impressed.

Well, for a start; i haven't heard of David Ellis. I knew it's a legal thriller though, from the brief synopsis at the back of the book. It was a little boring at the beginning as it traces Shelly's past memories of being raped, her son which she gave up for adoption & her strained relationship with her dad because of the son she had out of wedlock.

It started getting interesting when she took on the case for Alex, whom is alleged of shooting a police officer in the face & is accused of being a drug pusher. The courtroom action towards the end was absorbing & definitely unexcepted. Then, there's the revelation in court that Ronnie (Alex's brother, no blood relations though; they were adopted) is her son (she had believed Alex earlier that he's her son) & the dead police officer was the rapist! How dramatic can it get.

Ellis is certainly the new kid on the block & it helps that he writes well too. With a good plot in mind, he could be the next Grisham. Go visit his website to learn more, I'm getting the next Ellis' book.
http://www.davidellisbooks.com/


Can't wait for the paperback

In case you didn't know, Grisham has a new book; The Broker.

I saw the hardcover book at Kinokuniya last week, i can't wait for the paperback to be published. The hardcover would be too expensive & heavy to carry around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found Reign in Hell disappointing compared to Primal Fear & Show of Evil. I intend to have movies made of Show of Evil & Reign in Hell except Reign in Hell will be totally different from the book. The best part in Reign in Hell was when Stampler's character was revealed-- he was trapped inside his own nightmare--- he said something about a veil-- lol. I am looking forward to making movies of the books.